Monday, August 10, 2009

::: Our Birthstory :::

I woke up Sunday morning (Aug 2nd) at 5am with some stomach cramps. I didn't think anything of it (although of course I was curious). I just figured my body is getting ready for labor one of these days since I was almost due. The day went a little longer b/c of my discomfort, but we went on as usual- We had my family over, nested, etc. The cramps weren't patterned, it just hurt randomly throughout the day and became more noticeable. Jason and I decided to get out for a bit. We went to get a few props for Bambino's newborn photo shoot, then grabbed some dinner after. We were in line paying at CVS, and I just told Jason I'd meet him out at the car and I split. I thought my water had broke! So we called the doc and they told us to come in. Immediately I got nervous, is this really it!?!? We went home and got ready with all our things "just in case" I think we were in total denial lol. We got to labor and delivery to be monitored and checked- they said I was 3cm and 80% effaced. They thought Bambino would soon be on his way, and asked if we wanted to be admitted and or go home and try to "sleep." Since I felt fine (for the most part) I wanted to go home and try to rest, or get things going in my own comfort zone. I felt I could labor at home much better.
On the way home I already noticed the cramps getting stronger and more discomfort. I think all the exams, etc. helped move things along as well. I swear as soon as we were home and settled- and I was hoping to rest- not so much. By now it was Monday- in the middle of the night. I was knew this was it. The pain was getting stronger and at this point I knew these were contractions and they freakin hurt! I couldn't "sleep" but I was trying to stay calm and just rest. It came to a point where I couldn't rest anymore. I was up and down, in and out of the bathroom, restless, lying on the floor, then in the bed, then rocking in our office chair, swaying off the bed. I couldn't stop moving and the pain was nooooooo bueno! Jason was timing my contractions and before we knew it, he was like honey I think its time to go. Once again, I was in denial, lets just wait a little longer. This cant be it lol I guess I just didn't know what to expect being my first child- all I knew was it hurt! He realized they were less then 5 minutes apart, then 3, and at that point I wanted to go. I figured the car ride there, getting admitted, staying in the "drug" time frame lol, etc. So it was off we went! The car ride absolutely sucked- I couldn't move around, but I needed to so bad- the car ride was sooooo long! We arrived at the hospital around 3:45 (and I didn't know but my family was already there- lol they knew this was it- I was still in denial lol) The pain was getting worse each contraction and all I could do was moan- its a natural reaction- there is nothing else you can do lol. I knew we were making progress because everything bugged me- and that's what I've heard about when your in true labor lol. The way I was touched, the sound of Jason's phone, people asking me questions, etc. When they came, I wanted to handle it on my terms! They checked me soon after we were admitted and I was almost 5cm and effacing more, and I thought- that's it!?!?!?
They got me settled into a room and on the monitors. I was in so much pain, but relieved everything was going okay and I was surrounded by Jason and my family. At this point the pain was only getting more and more unbearable lol and I thought it was going to be a looooong night (or should I say morning). I knew the anesthesiologist was in surgery, so I had about an hour to decide if I wanted an epidural. I figured I'd wait and see (not thinking hes not on my terms lol) So and hour and a half goes by, and ohhh god I didn't know if I could do this! You know the worse part- it wasn't necessarily the contractions, it was my back pain. I'm assuming this is the 'back labor' I have heard about from some. It was horrible and that's what made my labor so hard this whole time. I couldn't comprehend giving birth when my back felt like this. So at this point an epidural was on my mind lol and she checked me and I was 8cm and we were making great progress (and I sure felt it!) She then said, their are a couple people ahead of me for an epidural, and I looked at her like- you need to fix that! she made a call and got him to come to me first lol and as soon as I saw the anesthesiologist I told him I loved him haha. The whole pregnancy I was scared and wanted to avoid the epidural, so it was great that I felt like such crap because at that point I didn't care what happened- as long as this pain went away! The epidural was nothing like I thought it would be, it didn't hurt to get and it didn't make me feel like I thought it would. Honestly the worst part about it was getting the horrible shakes from it, but I'll take that over the pain I had lol
So now things were much much better! I could barely feel my contractions, and decided to have some me time and rest for what I could and hopefully my shakes would subside. Before I knew it, the sun was out and I was surrounded by more family. Jason's mom and brother arrived, and then our dads walked in just in time. They had checked me and said it was time to push! I couldn't believe the time had finally come, I just had to get through this last part. I was hoping I was one of those stories that pushed 10 minutes and was done, but not so much. I pushed for over 45 minutes and I thought he would never come, every time I looked at the mirror and didn't feel like we were making any progress. She told me I would need an episiotomy which I wasn't too happy about, but again I just wanted him out and was in the moment- lets just get this done. Finally he was here! She slowed down removing him to suction him since there was meconin. Once I heard his cries my heart melted because I knew he was really here finally. It was such a release to get him out and finish pushing. Although I wasn't going anywhere fast since I needed some stitches and to still deliver the placenta (which was disgusting by the way lol) Jason got to cut the umbilical cord and he was free at last! After making sure all was well and he was suctioned good, it was family time. I remember when they put him in my arms- the feeling was indescribable. Jason and I just looked and looked and looked at our little guy, he is absolutely precious! We also couldn't believe how small he was, we were expecting a big'ol baby- but he's our little peanut ;)
Overall, I can't complain. Everything went smoothly and both of us are healthy. I feel so blessed with our experience and it felt great to make it t hrough it (lol something I doubted haha) Actually, I think the recovery after birth is just as rough sometimes. I definitely not doing cart wheels right now, my body hurts and I feel very slowed down. Im looking forward to feeling my best again, it will help me get the extra boast that I need. Lucas has been a wonderful baby and doing great. We have already established a favorable routine and it doesn't get any better then this. Jason and I are working hard to help eachother as well as incorporate family time, and I feel like its a perfect mix. One happy family. . .

6 comments:

Mom2CJ said...

Thank's for sharing. I can't wait to meet little Lucas. I know you are excited, and it just gets better. Let me know if you need anything.

Ashley said...

Jamie, I am so happy for you! Thank you for sharing your birthing story. Congratulations again and sending lots of love your way! :) xoxo

My Dream Ring said...

Jamie you did so great for your first birth, no horror stories. I remember my first birth, I was terrified but like you it wasn't as bad as I thought. I also told the anesthesiologist that I loves him, I think all laboring mothers do. hehe

alex said...

Jamie congratulations! Thank you so much for sharing this amazing birth story. I'm so happy to hear that everything worked out and that you are all home safe and healthy.

Looking forward to seeing photos and hearing how Lucas is changing your lives.

Alex

Unknown said...

Jamie- Im like crying! Congrats! What an amazing birth story! You are so strong! Congrats again!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how quickly everything goes by? Just think the birth is over & little Lucas is 10 days old already! Life just keeps on happening, so happy to have him in it now!!! xoxoxKim